We’re walking into a different era. A series of weird and unfortunate events have changed the way we live, interact with each other, and do work. People today spend more time in their home office than ever, and so do you — or at least you want to. So, if you’re looking for the best ways to make your home office look professional, cozy, and inviting, you’ve come to the right place.
Together, we’re taking a look at how to make your home office look professional and at the same time a cool place to hang out.
1. Create a home office floor plan
It might seem too professional for a beginner, but the truth is that it’s much simpler than it sounds. To begin your home office design, you need to know the arrangement and where each piece of furniture is going to go.
And the good news is that you don’t have to break the bank to do so. Free online tools like Floorplanner can help you design your home office space and find out how to make it look more professional before you even start looking what to put in your home office.
2. Start with the desk
Everything starts with the right desk. Period. So, if you’re on a tight budget and you’re trying to find out how to make your home office look more professional, just getting the right desk (yeah, like this one below) is the best way to go.
A desk is like the central piece of your working area. It can make your home office look inviting, comfortable, professional, but also cold and amateur. Here’s a list of tips when choosing the best desk for your home office:
- Go with a desk with drawers. This way, you will hide clutter, and also store everything you need for a productive day — this is a great example.
- Get a desk made of solid wood (link). It’s more durable as a material and it also looks more high-end.
- Find a big desk. The bigger, the more professional your home office is going to look.
- A desk with a back panel always looks cooler. They always look sturdier, and luxurious.
- If your home office is not big enough, choose a ladder desk. They look cool and they’re extremely hot right now. Here’s a list of the best ladder desks in 2020.
3. To make your home office look professional, you need more than one chair
First of all, the wrong office chair can make a cozy, inviting home office, look like a complete mess. Think of your working space as a fashion look. The chair is the coat — the piece that hugs the rest of the elements together.
With that being said, you need an office chair made of fabric. Of course, leather is the best way to go, but we don’t want you to spend a fortune. Not yet.
Chairs made of fabric make your home office warm, welcoming, and professional at the same time. Make sure you choose one in neutral colors (such as grey) and with silver details because fake gold tends to look cheap.
Oh, and one small detail. To make your home office look even more professional, you need to have a couple of chairs for your guests as well. Again, you need to follow the same pattern. Fabric is the answer. These great guest chairs can definitely do the job.
4. Pro-tip on how to make your home office look professional: “meeting tables”
Ok ok. We know that many of you might not be able to fit a meeting table in your home office. But if you happen to have some extra space, this simple trick will transform your work area from a home office to a home business.
However, you don’t want to overdo it. It’s a home office, not a corporate office space, so we would recommend a simple round table like this one. It looks like a dining table, but it’s pretty and can serve the purpose:
5. Decoration: To make your home office inviting
We have to be honest here. Decorating a home office is a tricky task. Why? Well, there’s a fine line between a professional home office and a basic office at home.
Think of a workspace and your brain will most likely shape a completely different picture from what it would create if we told you to think of a home. A home office stands right there. Between your home and your office.
To make your home office look professional and cozy at the same time, you need to invest in some decoration. Again. SOME. And since this is a place where you need to focus, you need to keep it simple.
Here are some tips:
- Invest in plants. They make the place look cozy and Pinterest-y. Plus, they’re a cheap solution. Caution: find minimal plant pots like these ones to give a luxurious feeling.
- Wall art is important. Your walls shouldn’t be empty but at the same time, they shouldn’t be too much. Find minimal wall art like quotes online, print them, and use a plain black frame to hang them. It’s that simple.
- Rugs for even more coziness. The rule says that your rug should be the same color as your chair — or a completely contrasting shade. However, to make your home office look professional, we’d suggest a light grey. But, to be honest, this is just a matter of personal taste so go ahead and experiment.
- Your lights matter. Lights play an essential part. First of all, you need to see what type of lamp suits you best. Generally speaking, desk lamps with different brightness levels, tend to improve productivity. If you’re looking for one, this is the best deal.
[Note: We’re publishing an article on the best desk lamps soon — click here to follow us on Instagram and get notified when it’s out]
6. You know what? Get a coffeemaker.
Yes, you read that one right. A coffeemaker. In your professional home office. Yes. YES.
First of all, you won’t have to go to the kitchen every once in a while to pour yourself a cup of coffee. Second, if you raise your game and eventually hold meetings in your home office, you will be able to make your guests feel comfortable without even leaving your office.
Remember in Mad Men where Don Draper had a bottle of whiskey on a console in his office? Think of your coffeemaker as a special bottle of Jack Daniels. Of course, without the alcohol, the bottle, or the fanciness.
7. Get a printer and feel professional
You won’t believe how much difference a printer can make in your home office. Like it or not, eco-friendly or not, at some point you’re going to need to print something. The idea of having your own in your home office makes the whole concept of working at home more professional.
Luckily, there are unlimited choices in the market at many different price ranges, so you won’t have any trouble finding the one that best suits your needs. However, here’s a list of top five printers for your home office:
|Canon Pixma TS9120||All-in-one inkjet printer||Check price here|
|Epson EcoTank ET-2720||All-in-one ecotank printer||Check price here|
|Brother MFC-L2750DW||All-in-one B&W laser printer||Check price here|
|Samsung Xpress M2020||Laser printer||Check price here|
|Xerox Phaser 6510||Laser printer||Check price here|
How to make your home office look professional – A complete shopping list!
Now that we’ve established how to make your home office look and feel inviting and professional, we need to establish what exactly you need to put in your home office.
Keep scrolling for a list of eight products based on the tips we provided above. Create a professional, fully-equipped home office for under $800 and boost your productivity today!